Introduction to Queer Studies 101
This course is an introduction to queer studies, with a focus on intersectionality and social justice. I’m starting from a beginner perspective assuming that folks are coming into these ideas for the first time. The course begins with some of the typical patterns that people experience when they’re confronting their privilege for the first time, including resistance, fragility, guilt and shame. I encourage folks to always stay focused on their privileged identities, whichever those are. Since it’s an introductory course, there’s a lot of interesting ideas, but we don’t delve deep into any of them. We explore the roots of hatred and the gender binary, and the roles science and religion have played in creating and maintaining queerphobia. We explore identities that are related to sexual orientation like Asexuality, Bisexuality, Lesbians and Gay men; as well as those related to gender identity and sex, such as Intersex, Non-binary and Trans folks. We explore some of the similar patterns that different identities face, like issues around visibility, disclosure, and familial relationships. We explore some of the social patterns and expectations around sexual and romantic relationships, and spend some time on sexual decisionmaking and communication.
The course uses a flipped-classroom methodology that centers student conversations during class time.
These are the lesson plans for the term, in order:
- Rethinking stereotypes: unlearning biological stories
- Social locations: finding yourself
- Agent ignorance: you CANNOT get it
- Gender/Sex Binary roots and Intersex folks
- Gender identities: Trans, Non-Binary, Genderfluid
- Roots of Hatred
- Relationships, Romance, Partnering
- Orientation: Lesbians and Gay Men
- Orientation: Pan/Bisexuality, Asexuality, Aromantic
- Family of origin and queerness
- Chosen family - later family
- Nonvisibility, closeting, disclosure
- Queerness and visibility
- Internalized oppression
- Sexuality, pleasure, communication
- Ally work: you CAN do hard things!
- Joining the revolution: where will YOU fit in?
- Stamina: we need you with us for the long haul
- Radical Reimagining: changing the world from the roots